You Can’t Do That
You are crazy if you think that is going to work!
What are you thinking, that is never going to happen.
We have all heard these types of responses at one time or another. Whether you shared a big dream with a family member or expressed an innovative idea at work, there are always those who will hold up a hand and say, no, you can’t do that. It just can’t work.
Deflated, many of us just accept others’ truths and abandoned the idea or the dream and forever be limited by someone else’s fears. Getting discouraged isn’t uncommon. Most people don’t realize they are trying to snuff out your dreams, they see it as their way of saving you pain and time. But ultimately, their good intentions may be clouded with their own feelings of inadequacy that holds them back from bigger and better opportunities.
Fighting off discouragement is difficult but consider these alternative strategies before you resign yourself to letting of an audacious dream or idea dissolve.
- Be patient and take the long view. Nothing is achieved without some setbacks.
- Failure isn’t the end, it’s a part of the education you need to achieve the goal.
- Make your vision tangible, write it down and share it with others no matter what they say.
- Put your ego on pause. Be open to criticism and feedback without it crushing you. Take in the positive and constructive information and discard the rest.
- Realize that your path is unique. Don’t measure yourself by other’s experiences.
- Get started, focus on the actions not the rewards.
- Consider changing your definition of success. Where there is growth there is success.
- Consider changing the people you hang out with. Your circle of influence should be filled with supporters not detractors. Find a band of cheerleaders to help you stay on course.
- Get a mentor or coach. Find an objective voice to give you objective feedback that is constructive and candid but has not hidden agendas.
- Find a way to help others to help you move forward. Giving of yourself will bring you many rewards.
Relying on others to chart your success path is also a crutch. It’s your choice to stay stuck. You have to flip the script and start practicing affirmations and visualization to see yourself accomplishing your dreams. Walt Disney said, “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible”. Time to get on the ride and believe in yourself and your abilities.
As an ActionCOACH and member of the International Coaching Federation, Mark has tools, resources and accreditation’s, which have enabled him1 to transform over 100 businesses and business owners lives including achieving an average of 50% growth in both revenue and profitability while creating an improved work life blend.
Through our one to one programs I will work with you create a plan, actions and time lines and hold you accountable to them, along with working with you to develop the necessary business skills
TAKE THE NEXT STEP: For a discovery business assessment, call +61 26362 8970 or email email@example.com